Living in Calgary

Living in Calgary

Cultural Counselling:

All of our staff is trained to guide you through the process of adjusting to your life in Canada. You are welcome to participate on our cultural workshops about “life in Canada” (for schedule and information please ask you Student Services Coordinator at the front desk). If you have a question, need advice or need guidance to adjust to the ways in Calgary, please talk to any of our staff at the front desk. We’ll be happy to guide you.  Should you have any other enquiries about the city and life in Canada, please visit for more information.



Local calls may be made in our lobby on the GEOS courtesy phone for free. If you need to make a long distance call, you will need a phone card. Phone cards can be bought at the convenience store.




There are two conveniently-located post offices within a few minutes walking distance from the school. You can send packages and letters from them. If you already have the postage for your letter, it can be mailed by the elevators by the school.




GEOS Languages Plus-Calgary is conveniently located near several major banks. To open an account, you will need your passport, student or working holiday visa, and proof of your address in Calgary. If you have any questions, please ask the Registrar.


Medical Insurance and Services

All students are encouraged to have medical insurance because of the high costs of medical treatments in Canada for non-residents. You can purchase medical insurance with Student Guard as our provider for $2.50 per day.  Please see the Registrar for more information. Should you have any physical or mental concerns, please speak to our office staff for assistance.

About Alberta Health Care: If you are a student from outside Canada, you may be eligible for AHCIP coverage. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian. Students who have a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and should apply. Students with study permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months. Please refer to for more information.



Places of Worship

Calgary is a multicultural city, and various religious communities can be found in this city. As well, we have a room set aside in the school for students to pray. For a list of places of worship, location and contact numbers, please see the Registrar.


Please visit for more information.


Links of interest:

·       Calgary Catholic Immigration Society