How do I Work while Studying in Calgary (or Canada)?

Many students want to know if they can work while they study. It can be a big challenge to study six months or longer without working to earn money.  Before June 1, 2014 there was a Study & Work Program available. However, this program is no longer available for students studying English as a second language.

After June 1, 2014 the Canadian government decided study permit holders are:

  • eligible to work off campus without a work permit;
  • allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and
  • able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,
  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration. 

Unfortunately, this does not include students studying English as a second language.

This information is available at the Citizen & Immigration Canada (CIC) website. There is also a self-assessment tool to see if students are eligible to work in Canada.

So, what can students studying English as a second language do?  Check out our Pathways Program!

Our Pathways Program leads to college or university education and a study permit (if approved by CIC) for working off campus. Also, most of our partner colleges and universities won’t require TOEFL or IELTS scores, need a registration fee, and will issue a letter of acceptance.

Contact us to get started on your path to future success!

Return to Home